External Attack Surface Management Remains Key Focus in Gartner® Report
Keeping your organization safe from a possible breach or attack can be a moving target. You have to consider cloud security, asset management, shadow IT, shadow Cloud, and more, all with a zero trust mindset. As hackers and cybercriminals advance in their approach, you too must continuously modernize your response. Enter attack surface management.
About the Report
In their Hype Cycle™ for Security Operations, 2022 report, Gartner® examines how digital transformation initiatives have continued to expand organizations’ attack surfaces, and in turn, increase their exposure to threat actors. The Gartner® assessment of security tools once again emphasizes the importance Attack Surface Management (ASM) or External Attack Surface Management (EASM) play in protecting the attack surface, noting:
“EASM provides valuable risk context and actionable information to SRM leaders. EASM delivers visibility through four primary capabilities:
- Monitoring (continuously) for exposed assets (cloud services, IPs, domains, certificates and IoT devices)
- Asset discovery for external-facing assets and systems
- Analysis to assess and prioritize the risk and vulnerabilities discovered
- Remediation, mitigation and incident response through prebuilt integrations with ticketing systems and SOAR tools
The report also underscores how a “continuous assessment-and-exposure-based approach” ( the focus of EASM) “is growing in adoption.”
What You’ll Learn
The Gartner® report provides key insights that can help leaders further build out their security strategies and adapt to shifts in the landscape. Download the report to learn more about:
- The Hype Cycle™ maturity stages of EASM and other security technologies
- How shifts in the attack surface have prompted market activity in the Innovation Trigger stage
- Why an EASM strategy is essential to keeping up with a modern security landscape
- What to consider when selecting an EASM vendor
Get your copy of the report today!
Gartner, Hype Cycle for Security Operations, 2022, By Andrew Davies, 5 July 2022
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s Research & Advisory organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Gartner and Hype Cycle are registered trademarks of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally and is used herein with permission. All rights reserved.