What information do we collect?
When you use Censys, we collect information about you and your actions on the Site. This includes:
- Your IP address: we automatically receive and record information from your web browser when you interact with Censys, including your IP address. This information is used to prevent abuse and also to facilitate collection of data concerning your interaction with Censys (e.g., what links you have clicked on). We may collect some device-specific information if you access Censys using a mobile device. Device information may include but is not limited to unique device identifiers, network information, and hardware model, as well as information about how the device interacts with Censys.
- Email communications: We may receive a confirmation when you open an email from us. We use this confirmation to improve our service.
- Location information: Some of our Services may include features based on users’ actual locations and may report on users’ current locations (“Location-Based Services”). To the extent you voluntarily opt to use any Location-Based Services, we may collect and store information about your location at the time you use those Location-Based Services. This information can come from a variety of sources depending on the client you use to access the Services; for example, a mobile phone may report its GPS location at the time Location-Based Services are used.
In addition, we use third-party service providers and hosting providers who collect data on our behalf:
- We use a variety of third-party analytics services, including, but not limited to, Segment, Intercom, and Google Analytics, to measure user engagement with our products. These services record data about how you use our services, and Intercom reports to us when you open messages we send.
- We use Google Cloud to host parts of our servers. Google Cloud maintains additional logs of your computer’s interaction with its servers.
Your interactions with these third-party service providers will be governed by their privacy policies. Your participation and interaction with Censys on third-party social media sites will be governed by the relevant vendors’ privacy policies.
What We Share
We use the information we collect (either ourselves or through third-party services) to improve our service offerings, troubleshoot system issues, prevent abuse, and develop new features. We will sometimes use your contact information to send you information about our products and services, but we will not sell it to third parties for marketing.
We may share information we collect with our authorized third-party vendors, consultants, and service providers who perform services for Censys. These third-parties may only use or disclose information about you to perform services on Censys’s behalf, to comply with legal obligations, or as described in their privacy policies.
If we, or substantially all of our assets, are acquired, or if we go out of business or enter bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of us or our assets may continue to use your Personal Information as set forth in this policy.
We reserve the right to access, read, preserve and disclose any information about you if we reasonably believe it is necessary:
- to comply with any applicable law, regulation, governmental request or legal process, to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims, or as may be required for the purposes of national security;
- to protect our rights or property, or to prevent physical, mental, financial or other harm, injury or loss to us, our users or the public;
- to detect, investigate, prevent, or otherwise address suspect or actual illegal or inappropriate activity or exposure to liability, including fraud, security or technical issues (which includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and spam/malware prevention);
- to respond to user support requests.
We reserve the right, solely at our discretion, to object to certain information disclosure requests that we believe to be improper.
California Privacy Right: Under California Civil Code sections 1798.83-1798.84, California residents are entitled to ask us for a notice identifying the categories of personal customer information which we share with our affiliates and/or third parties for marketing purposes, and providing contact information for such affiliates and/or third parties. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to the following address: 116 ½ S Main St Ann Arbor, MI 48103.
We seek to protect Account information to ensure that it is kept private; however, we cannot guarantee the security of any Account information. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of user information at any time. We otherwise store all of our information, including your IP address information, using industry-standard techniques. We do not guarantee or warrant that such techniques will prevent unauthorized access to information about you that we store, Personal Information or otherwise.
Where we are a controller of Personal Data, you have certain rights with respect to your Personal Data, including those set forth below. Please note that in some circumstances, we may not be able to fully comply with your request, such as if it is frivolous or extremely impractical, if it jeopardizes the rights of others, or if it is not required by law, but in those circumstances, we will still respond to notify you of such a decision. In some cases, we may also need to you to provide us with additional information, which may include Personal Data, if necessary to verify your identity and the nature of your request.
- Access: You can request more information about the Personal Data we hold about you and request a copy of such Personal Data. You can also access certain of your Personal Data by emailing us at [email protected]
- Rectification: If you believe that any Personal Data we are holding about you is incorrect or incomplete, you can request that we correct or supplement such data. Erasure: You can request that we erase some or all of your Personal Data from our systems.
- Withdrawal of Consent: If we are processing your Personal Data based on your consent (as indicated at the time of collection of such data), you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note, however, that if you exercise this right, you may have to then provide express consent on a case-by-case basis for the use or disclosure of certain of your Personal Data, if such use or disclosure is necessary to enable you to utilize some or all of our Services.
- Portability: You can ask for a copy of your Personal Data in a machine-readable format. You can also request that we transmit the data to another controller where technically feasible.
- Objection: You can contact us to let us know that you object to the further use or disclosure of your Personal Data for certain purposes, such as for direct marketing purposes.
- Restriction of Processing: You can ask us to restrict further processing of your Personal Data.
- Right to File Complaint: You have the right to lodge a complaint about our practices with respect to your Personal Data with the supervisory authority of your country or EU Member State.